Friday, March 22, 2013

JetBlue Park

With spring training coming to an end, I thought I would talk about a favorite moment from my spring break. I went to see the red sox play the blue jays at jetBlue Park, also dubbed Fenway South. My last two trips to Fort Myers I saw them play at City of Palms Park. This park just opened last year, but I have nothing bad to say about it.
JetBlue almost replicates Fenway in Boston but also gives off a tropical experience with Floridian styling. The Green Monster used at the park was previously in storage, but used at Fenway for decades until it was replaced. The dimensions of the field are exact to those at Fenway. So for Sox fans in Florida who may never make it up to Boston, this is the next best thing. Of course if you want all the history, Fenway is second to none. But this park has everything I wanted and them some, and its only used for spring training. Perhaps they could work something out to play at least one regular season game here, it is that beautiul.
The park has your typical food, with Boston themed stands, and some Florida bbq. The team store has lots of gear, although most will find it pricey. An interesting thing is that the park has dispensers of free sunblock. I bought a shirt that says spring training on it. Around the park are memories from Sox past, abd banners of all the world series won. So it feels like home for the Red Sox. Also there is the famed replica of Ted Williams, just like the one in Boston. Something unique to this park is the walkway of life sized numbers of retired players in Red Sox history. So you can walk by and take a pic with Williams famed #9 and Yaz #8.
All in all it was a great day at the park, abd the Red Sox won. Its only spring training, but its a great experience. When I am back in Fort Myers, I will certainely go to another game. Go Sox!

2 comments:

  1. Also of note the park was nominated for sports facility of the year by sports business journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never went to any baseball games or any games. But I would like to go to one just for the experience. Actually, I am not into sports (I prefer to play than watch)so I do not know whose game I should watch and who to hoot for.

    ReplyDelete